Tuesday, June 15, 2010

E3 2010 - Day 2: Nintendo Press Conference

Day 2 of the E3 convention began with Nintendo's press conference. Here is my summary of the announcements they made. Read on...

The Good:
  • The best way that Nintendo could have kicked off their press conference was with the announcement of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Swords. The new Zelda game uses the Wii Motion Plus to control the sword and the nunchuk to control the shield. This should be pretty intuitive, but Miyamoto seemed to have quite a a bit of trouble with it on stage. You can look for this new title next year.
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn looks really nice for a Nintendo DS game. The first 2 games in the series were considered among the best RPGs on the Gameboy Advance. Look for the new installment this holiday season.
  • Who doesn't have great memories of playing Goldeneye 007? A remake of this beloved game is coming out this holiday season. I will definitely be picking this game up to play with my dad.
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn, aside from having a really cute new art style, looks to put a fewe really interesting twists on platforming. Look for it this fall.
  • One game that I am really, really excited to play is Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. It already sold 4.2 million copies in Japan. One of the games features is the local multi-player, which was a hit in Japan, is unlikely to see much use in the United States. If you were hoping for Nintendo to add over-the-web multiplayer... it's not happening. I'm sure the game will still be awesome. It comes out on July 11th.
  • I just can't seem to get it up for Metroid: Other M. I don't have anything invested into the franchise. This game will probably still be really good.

The Underwhelming:
  • Mario and friends are playing basketball, volleyball, hockey, and several other events in Mario Sports Mix some time in 2011.
  • Wii Party features 13 party games including: board game island, balance boat, and 11 others. I'm sorry, but this looks stupid.
  • Just Dance 2 features more than 40 hit tracks for up to 8 players to shake their Wiimote. Hurrray?
  • I'm not sure if I should be excited about Epic Mickey or not. I'm not really sure what this game is even about.

The Surprising:
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns reminds me of everything that I loved about the Super Nintendo games. I certainly wasn't expecting this.
  • I know this isn't really a surprise, but the Nintendo 3DS is kind of exciting. I have no idea how 3D technology could work without glasses. The device itself looks much like the current Nintendo DS with an analog stick and a wider top screen. The device also features two cameras on the front, which will allow the device to take 3D pictures. It will also feature some much needed advances in the wireless communication infrastructure. I'm kinda looking forward to this.

Anyone excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment